Download Specifications PDF
Durability: Low Durability
Sizes available: Not Available
|| Pometia pinnata
|| Akwa, Malugay
|Country of Origin:
|| Solomon Islands
|Air Dry Density:
|| Low Durability
Surface checking of backsawn material may occur. Some twist may occur, but can be reduced by final steaming treatments although this may accentuate checking.Characteristics:
- The sapwood is approximately 2 inches wide, a pale brown colour with an orange tinge.
- The heartwood is moderately hard and heavy, usually pinkish in colour, occasionally red and streaky, but turning brown with age.
- It is lustrous but lacks a distinct figure and the texture is intermediate and uneven.
- The grain is normally straight and fissile, or slightly interlocked, but severe spiral grain can occur.
- In hardness the timber is comparable with European Oak.
- Not usually difficult to saw or machine.
- Some radial surfaces may be slightly roughened by interlocked grain.
- There is no difficulty in gluing, nailing, varnishing or painting seasoned timber, but for a good painted finish a filler is desirable.
- Furniture making and musical instruments.
- Product Attributes:
- Product Limitations:
- Sapwood subject to Lyctus attack.